This is my favorite dessert to bring to a barbecue or any occasion that falls during summer due to the abundance of sweet fruit during the season. Fancy fruit tarts like this one sell for around $20 in the supermarket or bakery. It is as pleasing to the eye as it is your taste buds. Don’t be intimidated – anyone can make this yummy dessert. The first step is to gather your favorite delicious fresh fruit such as strawberries, kiwi, blueberries, mandarins.
You will need a tart pan with a removable bottom and lots of fresh fruit. The crust can be done by hand but it’s made easy with a food processor – this is the one I own and I love it!
Easy Fruit Tart
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter, softened and sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanillaextract
- Fresh strawberries, kiwi slices, blueberries, raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the crust: In a food processor, combine the confectioners' sugar, flour, and butter, and process until the mixture forms a ball.
- With your fingers, press the dough into a 12-inch tart pan with a removable bottom, taking care to push the crust into the indentations in the sides. Pat until the crust is even.
- Bake for to 12 minutes, until very lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- For the filling and topping: Beat the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla together until smooth.
- Spread over the cooled crust. Cut the strawberries into ¼-inch slices and arrange around the edge of the crust.
- For the next circle, use kiwi slices. Add another circle of strawberries, filling in any spaces with blueberries. Cluster the raspberries in the center of the tart.
- Glazing: Microwave a mixture of ¼ cup apricot preserves with a few tablespoons water.
- Brush it over the fruit carefully to give it shine.
Be creative – use what fruits you have and play with different designs.
(Originally published July 21, 2011)
Kelly Lynns Sweets and Treats says
I have never made a fruit tart before, but I love how easy you make it look. This just screams summer to me :) PINNED!