One-dish dinners. It kind of defeats the purpose of making them when I become a short order cook but oftentimes I do make meal alternatives for the kids. They are served one meal and the adults have another. As their taste buds mature, I’m sure they’ll begin to branch out and try new things and we’ll all be able to eat the same dinner together like a real family.
We do all like some of the same meals, like pasta (one of us sans sauce), homemade pizza and some chinese food. Boring right? So I’m always on the lookout for quick family meals to make during the week. Casseroles are my go to when I know we’re going to have a busy day, but usually I can’t even get the kids to take a nibble. Incorporating something the kids know they love is one of my methods for convincing them to at least give it a try, like this Tater Tot Cheeseburger Casserole.
This is the ultimate cheeseburger meal all mashed up together in one easy dish. And it is mighty delicious, if I do say so myself. You can adjust this dinner to your likes and dislikes. Have a disdain for onions? Leave them off. Like extra pickles? Load ’em up.
- 16 oz. ground turkey
- small onion, chopped
- 1 c. milk
- 1 c velveeta
- 1-2 pickles, chopped
- ½ c. tomatoes, chopped
- 2 c. frozen tater tots
- 1 c. shredded cheddar
- Cook and crumble meat over medium-high heat
- Drain excess fat and then add onions and saute until translucent
- Place mixture into a 9x12 baking pan and add tomatoes and pickles.
- Spread the tater tots evenly over the meat and fixins.
- Add milk and velveeta to saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wisk until combined.
- Pour evenly over the tater tots and then sprinkle with shredded cheddar
- Bake for 25 minutes (or according to directions specified on package of tater tots.)