This post was sponsored by Sunshine Sweet Corn as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
Originally published Apr 23, 2017
Most grocers don’t start to receive corn deliveries until mid to late summer. We look forward to having jersey corn with our barbecues in the summertime, but unfortunately that’s the only time of year when we enjoy fresh corn on the cob.Fresh corn in April and May in New Jersey? Unthinkable. That is until we recently discovered delicious Sunshine Sweet Corn.
Grown in Florida, the sunshine state, Sunshine Sweet Corn is everything fresh corn should be. It is GMO-free, extra tender and guaranteed delicious corn during Spring. Who knew?! We just so happened to be planning a family party for my son’s birthday. His request for food was hot dogs and turkey burgers, and no barbecue-style party is quite complete without some fresh corn mixed in.
We decided to make this Sweet Corn and Bean Quinoa Salad which I found on the Sunshine Sweet website. It is such a versatile recipe and can be enjoyed as a vegetarian salad or made into a more hearty meal by adding shrimp, salmon or chicken. We served it up as a fresh and tasty side dish.
It couldn’t be any easier to make. The first step is to cook your quinoa as per package direction. A single cup of uncooked quinoa should do it. Once it’s done, fluff with a fork and transfer to a large serving bowl. Then simply add your black beans.
To the top I added the bell pepper and red onion. You’ll need a cup of the chopped peppers and a half of a cup of the onions. Just layer it on.
Finally, I sliced the corn kernels off of three ears of corn right into the bowl and gently mixed the ingredients together. For the finishing touch, mix in the homemade vinaigrette and you’re job is complete. Enjoy your refreshing crunchy summer salad.
- 3 cups fresh sweet corn kernels (4 medium Sunshine Sweet ears)
- 3 cups cooked and cooled quinoa*
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup diced red and green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
- 8 ounces cooked salad shrimp, or 2 cups cooked chicken, smoked turkey, or ham cut into ½ inch cubes (optional)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large bowl, toss corn, quinoa, beans, peppers, onion, scallions, and shrimp (if using).
- To make the vinaigrette, in a sealable container, combine olive oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper; shake until the mixture thickens, about 60 seconds.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the quinoa mixture and toss to combine.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with the cilantro.
- Garnish with halved cherry tomatoes, or serve on a bed of greens, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Sunshine Sweet Corn.