It’s November and we’ve already passed around a few colds and viruses in our house. That’s a good sign of the type of winter it’s going to be, and it’s not going to be pretty. With two kids attending school I worry about what they will bring home after being surrounded by other kids and sharing germs.
It’s always been tough dealing with the kids’ colds because you can’t give them traditional medicines like decongestants, and normally you have to rely on other non-medicinal ways to help soothe cold symptoms.
Here are 5 tips on how to stay healthy during cough and cold season:
1) Wash hands at every chance you get with hot water and soap, scrubbing for at least 20 seconds.
2) Disinfect surfaces. Keep the areas in your home clean, especially surfaces on which you eat and prepare food and things you touch often such as the telephone, toilet handle, the remote control, etc.
3) Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands. This is a mistake I always make.
4) Eat a healthy diet, and get daily exercise. A healthy body can fight disease more effectively.
5) Show courtesy for others and stay home when you are sick. If everyone did this, a lot less people would be getting sick in the first place.