If I were to describe myself in two words I think they would have to be “lazy foodie”. It’s not that I mind putting in the extra effort to create awesomely unique recipes, but I just don’t have a lot of time to work them into my busy life.
Recipes with a short list of mainstream ingredients appeal to me most so when I heard about Easy Gourmet my ears perked up. This is a fantastic book chock full of of delcious easy-to-follow recipes which are perfect for my lifestyle. From the creator or I Am A Food Blog the tagline is: awesome recipes anyone can cook.
Once I laid eyes on this Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe I knew I had to make it for dinner. Tonight. I called my husband who was already out and I asked him to pick up a few of the ingredients I didn’t have. He wasn’t able to find the anaheim chili pepper so I replaced it with a small can of diced green chilies that I had in the pantry.
Another thing that made my life easier was the leftover rotisserie chicken I already had in my fridge. I didn’t have the time or energy to fry my own tortilla strips so I used the bagged version.
I love that this recipe came together in minutes. Even my regular chili takes hours, but this meal tasted way more sophisticated. The recipe will go on our regular rotation for sure. I highly suggest serving at a minimum with diced avocado, sour cream and shredded cheddar. Yum!
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 onions diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp ancho chili powder
- 1 medium anaheim chili chopped (or another mild green chili)
- 1 14.5 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 8 cups low sodium chicken stock
- to taste salt & freshly ground pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs poached and shredded
- to garnish tortilla strips, sliced jalepenos, avocado, shredded cheddar, sour cream, lime wedges
- In a medium stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent but not brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, and Anaheim chili. Cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil over high heat before reducing to a low simmer for 15 minutes. Add the shredded chicken and heat until warmed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While the soup is simmering heat up 1-inch of oil to 250 degrees in a deep pot over medium heat. Line a large plate with paper towels. Cut the tortillas unto thin strips. When the oil is hot, add a handful of strips and fry until golden brown, 1-2 minutes. Remove with tongs or a slotted spoon and drain on the lined plate.
- To serve, add tortilla strips to each bowl of soup and top with garnishes to taste.
Use bagged tortilla strips (I buy them in the produce section).
Shred up leftover rotisserie chicken if available.
Recipe published with permission from the author of Easy Gourmet. We received a copy for consideration. Affiliate links are included above.
Originally published Oct 6, 2014