I don’t normally post recipes, but I made this dish yesterday and it was so delicious that I just had to share! With a few breasts of chicken in the fridge, I was poking around online trying to find something different. I like allrecipes.com because you can put in the ingredients you have and out comes a list of dishes you can make with those items.
- oil, for greasing pan
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 (8 ounce) package Cheddar cheese, cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon paprika (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly coat a large, shallow baking dish with oil.
- Butterfly each breast by slicing in half horizontally through the center, cutting almost but not completely through.
- Place one slice each of Cheddar and cream cheese in the center of each breast. Close again as if placing between the pages of a book. Set aside.
- Pour milk into a shallow bowl. In a separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs and Romano cheese.
- Carefully dip each breast first in milk, then in breadcrumb mixture, patting lightly to firmly coat.
- Place breasts side by side in a single layer in pre-oiled baking dish, tucking edges under to seal.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in lemon juice and garlic, and drizzle evenly over chicken.
- Season breasts with garlic salt and paprika, if using.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until no longer pink in center and juices run clear.
We ran out of cream cheese so I used laughing cow wedges which probably cut down some calories. I also used more lemon juice.
Lori in Florida says
I just made your recipe, didn't have Romano cheese but I did have some fresh parm so used it instead. It was just wonderful! I did use the paprika, and followed the recipe as you had posted except for that one small change. Will definitely be making this one again. Thanks!
Klo Designs says
That looks so good. I want try it now!
Oh wow, does that ever look delicious!