Hair removal hurts. Let’s just face it. Any product that claims otherwise is lying, in my opinion. I’ve done it all, all over, and it’s all unpleasant. I pick my battles with body hair, so to speak, though. I regularly have my eyebrows waxed, for example, which hurts terribly but only for a short time. I shave anything below the neck that I want to rid myself of – but that is time consuming, frustrating and very unpleasant. It comes back so quickly, frequently results in in-grown hairs, and can change the appearance of your skin entirely. It’s also expensive to keep fresh razors on hand. Let’s not even talk about drawing blood, missed spots and the contortion required to shave. Anyone who has ever burned their follicles with hair removal creams knows how painful that can be. If the societal expectation was for men to have smooth, hairless bodies…oh my. I bet that standard would change very quickly. Hair removal is not for the faint of heart!
I hadn’t, until recently, ever tried an epilator. And epilator is a hair removal system that pulls hair from the root in minutes with results that last for weeks. Philips gifted me the SatinPerfect epilator so I could try the system out. I’ve been using it weekly for about three weeks now. It’s a nice handheld device, the size of a men’s shaving device, and it comes in a nice pouch with some attachments, including a super cool lighted tweezer. The epilator looks nice and charges easily and has great battery life. There are shave, trim and style attachments included, and all fit nicely in the pouch. The head of the epilator is washable, which is nice. It is intended for body and face, according to the package, although I didn’t use it on my face.
1. Hair does come back more slowly. Underarm shaving is typically 3x per week, minimum; I performed this once per week, maximum, with the SatinPerfect epilator.
2. Dry use means you can use it virtually any time. I found that using it directly after a shower, after I’d dried off, was most comfortable.
3. Nicely packaged, portable, with great battery life. Easier than razors to tote around and use.
1. Ouch. Not for the faint of heart, as I said. Use the primer attachment to help guide you until you’re used to the epilator. You might not be as effected if you’re used to waxing all over, but I was not.
2. I did give myself some pretty nasty overuse burns in my underarm area. They healed in a day but attempting to get those last few hairs really cost me. It seemed like no matter how many times I went over contoured areas like knees and underarms, I just couldn’t get everything. And using it too much ended up burning me – literally.
The net net is that this is an excellent product for what it does. It is effecient and high-quality. But don’t expect it to take the pain out of hair removal. It’s not a miracle worker!
You can find the Philips SatinPerfect system that I tested at Amazon.com for only $85.00 including free shipping.