Yesterday, we had friends over for an early Sunday dinner. I always stress over what to make for guests, but I knew these particular friends like to eat healthfully as we do, so that was a start. I had just picked up the kielbasa and happened have some fresh vegetables from the farmer’s market so I decided to make a single-dish meal for all of us. Thankfully, it turned out great and our guests were happy.
I really love it when I only have to dirty one pan because it means I can spend less time cleaning and more time entertaining. One important thing to note: Make sure you have a nice deep pan or even a wok to hold everything nicely without overflowing. It’s a lot of food and you really need to mix it well.
This was such a delicious, healthy meal. I served corn on the cob on the side, but if you like you could also add canned or cut corn to the dish as I’ve done before. Either way it’s a tasty, wholesome dinner.
- 28 oz Turkey Kielbasa two packages
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 19 oz canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 lareg yellow onion chopped
- 1 medium zucchini unpeeled and diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper diced
- 1 medium green pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Prepare rice and set aside.
- In large skillet, cook sliced kielbasa over high heat until browned, stirring often to avoid burning.
- Remove from pan and add oil, onions, zucchini, peppers, garlic, and dry seasonings. Cook for 7 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Add cooked rice, beans and sausage, continuing to cook until all ingredients are hot. Enjoy!
Editor’s note: This post was originally published in 2010 and has been updated for accuracy. Post may contain affiliate links.
Clare Swindlehurst (@SuperMommyClub) says
Well I’ve never even heard of kielbasa before – what is it exactly? I love one pot recipes because I really hate washing up – I have better things to do with my time!
We ate this tonight for dinner and it was DELICIOUS! Thanks for the new recipe!
Krystal's Kitsch says
I love this dish! My husband would enjoy it too.