Yesterday, we had friends over for an early Sunday dinner. I always stress over what to make for guests, but I knew these particular friends like to eat healthfully as we do, so that was a start. I had just picked up the kielbasa and happened have some fresh vegetables from the farmer’s market so I decided to make a single-dish meal for all of us. Thankfully, it turned out great and our guests were happy.
I really love it when I only have to dirty one pan because it means I can spend less time cleaning and more time entertaining. One important thing to note: Make sure you have a nice deep pan or even a wok to hold everything nicely without overflowing. It’s a lot of food and you really need to mix it well.
This was such a delicious, healthy meal. I served corn on the cob on the side, but if you like you could also add canned or cut corn to the dish as I’ve done before. Either way it’s a tasty, wholesome dinner.
- 28 oz Turkey Kielbasa two packages
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 19 oz canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 lareg yellow onion chopped
- 1 medium zucchini unpeeled and diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper diced
- 1 medium green pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Prepare rice and set aside.
- In large skillet, cook sliced kielbasa over high heat until browned, stirring often to avoid burning.
- Remove from pan and add oil, onions, zucchini, peppers, garlic, and dry seasonings. Cook for 7 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Add cooked rice, beans and sausage, continuing to cook until all ingredients are hot. Enjoy!
Editor’s note: This post was originally published in 2010 and has been updated for accuracy. Post may contain affiliate links.
Krystal's Kitsch says
This is totally making me HUNGRY!! Thanks for sharing, pinning for later!
This looks awesome, can’t wait to try it. Thanks!
Christina @ It's a Keeper says
This looks so flavorful and easy to make! Perfect for busy weeknights!
Pinning this it looks great!
i pinned this and making for my hubby, he loves kielbasa.
shari lynne @ faith filled food for moms says
This looks so deelish and so easy…oh how I love both! Thanks for sharing Heather!
Thanks for a great diner idea tonight!
Jeanine @MommyEntourage says
My kids love kielbasa so I’ll have to try this one! We do traditional kielbasa though! :)
Robin (Masshole Mommy) says
That sounds delicious. My kind of dinner.
It really hit the spot and it’s a total balanced meal in one dish!
Jennifer Tilson says
Yum! I’m pinning this recipe. I have leftover rice and kielbasa–this will be perfect.
Perfect! I hope you like this dish as much as we did, Jennifer!