What are your plans for Valentine’s Day?
If you’re spending the evening at home with your sweetie, make this for dessert. It tastes just like those fancy soufflés you need to order ahead of time at a restaurant. But this one is quick and easy – only 5 ingredients needed for this Valentine’s Day treat. Get your ramekins ready. These are the ones I use:
Once you have your supplies ready, just grease and flour the ramekins and set them aside. You will need to melt the chocolate and the butter together in the microwave, stirring between 20 second increments until fully melted. Beat the eggs and sugar before adding the chocolate mixture and flour.
That’s it! In the oven they go. My favorite part of this recipe is that it comes together rather quickly, and it needs only bake for 10 minutes. This is one of the things you want undercooked so that you get the oozy chocolate goodness.
When they finish cooking, sprinkle with a dusting of powdered. sugar if you’d like. We love to top. ours with a giant scoop of vanilla ice cream and fresh strawberries. Enjoy!
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, plus more for the ramekins
- 1 Tbsp flour, plus more for the ramekins
- 1⁄3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 450ºF. Butter two 6-oz ramekins and dust the inside with flour.
- Place the butter and chocolate in a glass bowl and microwave on high in 20-second intervals, stirring after each, until melted and smooth.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg, egg yolk and sugar in a medium bowl until thick and lighter in color, about 1 minute. Add the melted chocolate mixture and flour and beat until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Divide the batter between the prepared ramekins. Bake until edges are set and center still jiggles slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand for 15 seconds. Run a knife around edge, then invert each cake onto a plate. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve with fresh mint or berries, if desired. Serve immediately.
Make-Ahead Tip: Refrigerate the batter in the ramekins for up to 1 day. Before baking, bring to room temperature.