The grande finale of our cooking class and meal at The Essex Resort and Spa after the caesar salad, the pasta made from scratch and the tomato basil sauce was this amazing molten chocolate cake. The presentation alone received oohs and ahhs, especially the cakes that oozed chocolatey goodness, but to taste this delicious dessert is to love it.
Previously, I’d made something very similar to this: Molten chocolate cake. It is also very good, but this version is much lighter, thanks, I think, to the confectioner’s sugar. I can’t wait to make this at home.
Chef Brandy used disposable tin ramekins, which is pure genius because they’re bendy and will release the cakes much easier than a standard stoneware ramekin. Plus, no cleanup!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter room temperature
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate or bittersweet, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1½ cups confectioners sugar
- ½ cups all-purpose flour
- Heat oven too 400 degrees.
- Use room temperature butter to grease six ramekins. Spray with cooking spray and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Bring about 2" of water to boil in a saucepan. Place butter in a double-broiler top over hot, not boiling water and melt butter completely. Add chocolate, stirring with a spatula to combine and melt chocolate. Remove from heat as soon as chocolate is melted.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs and yolks in a large bowl.
- Whisk in sugar, then melted chocolate mixture and flour.
- Pour the batter into prepared ramekins, dividing equally. Place on sheet tray and into oven.
- Bake until sides are set but center remains soft and runny, about 11-12 minutes.
- Run a small knife around cakes to loosen, and immediately turn cakes onto plates.
- If desired, serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Janeane Davis says
My family members really enjoy this dessert. I am glad to see this recipe so I can try it out for them.
Oh yum. Am I allowed to make this for myself on Mother’s Day? :)
Pshhh. Your husband/kids should make it for you!
kim @ DESIGN + LIFE + KIDS says
You’re killing me. I love this!
I wonder if I could veganize this! It looks amazing!
Robin (Masshole Mommy) says
That sounds SO good!!
drooling. thanks a lot!