This is a favorite side dish in our house, and I’ve also been known to enjoy it as a main meal. I first discovered it on weight watchers when I first went on the program before becoming pregnant with Emma.
I love it when the rest of the family starts loving my healthy points-conscious recipes! Kevin requests this a lot and after taking a short break I’ve started making it again.
I’ve made a few slight changes to the original version mainly to save on some time and effort. The recipe is best with fresh ingredients. This is how I make it:
- 2 small fresh broccoli crowns, separated
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ½ fresh large lemon, juiced
- Steam broccoli and set aside.
- In a skillet, melt the butter and add garlic, cooking for about 30 seconds.
- Be careful not to burn the garlic!
- Add the panko bread crumbs, stirring constantly until lighty toasted and golden brown.
- Place steamed broccoli into the skillet, mix well.
Steam broccoli using whatever method you like. I like my broccoli crunchy so I microwave with a few tablespoons of water for a few minutes until bright green. I used to steam it using a double boiler but I’ve gotten lazy. You can also roast or sautee.
Turn off heat and add broccoli to the skillet. Squeeze lemon juice over the broccoli and gently toss to combine. The process is so simple and can be used with other veggies and you can even add fish or veggies to make it a more filling meal.
Originally published March 28, 2014