When school is back in session, I go into a bit of a panic mode. Gone are the glorious summer days where we lived without a schedule. Now we have school drop off and pick up, doctor appointments and activities galore.
As we adjust to the year’s new routine, I look to quick and easy casserole recipes to feed my family. One dish meals are my favorite and this recipe is great because it incorporates all four food groups it one complete meal. To make preparation easy, it includes frozen and canned ingredients and dried herbs.
Hash Brown Casserole
- Bottom layer:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t dried oregano
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t pepper
- 12 oz frozen mixed vegetables
- Top layer:
- 3 cups seasoned shredded hash browns, thawed
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cook ground beef and cook until brown
- Add garlic about half-way through cooking
- Drain fat and mix in the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil.
- Simmer on low for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, mix hash browns with one egg and half of cheddar cheese
- Spread meat mixture along the bottom of a greased 8x8 glass pan
- Add the hash brown topping, and sprinkle the remaining 4 oz. of shredded cheddar
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the topping is golden and crispy
its soooo good I added onion and a can of cream of chicken!!! turned out awesome!
That sounds like an amazing change-up! Love this for fall.