Frozen Mint Infused Coffee
Life has been hectic lately. The school year is winding down, and my to-do list seems to be growing by the minute. Naturally, I love when I can check multiple items off of my list at the same time, and days before the weekend I did just that when I stopped at Walmart for needed supplies in preparation for our camping trip with the Girl Scouts including batteries, snacks, flashlights, wipes, bug spray and tees for our craft project.
While I was shopping I was also able to pick up a birthday gift and purchase some grocery items for home including by favorite coffee:
It’s heating up here in New Jersey and even though summer is not officially here, it sure feels like it. Even during the morning hours the heat and humidity is almost unbearable, and when that happens I like to cool down with a delicious frozen coffee. I take pleasure in relaxing with my coffee just before our crazy days begin – and this is a nice way to do it in this heat.
Last week I went to prep my garden and found that my mint came back in full force. I knew better when I planted it last year than to plant it into the garden with our other herbs and vegetables, but I still went ahead and did it anyway. Now it’s gone crazy and has spread, so I am starting to pull out some of it by the root and sharing it with friends – anyone interested?
Anyway, so I decided that I’d make a mint simple syrup which is perfect for tea, coffee and cocktails. Nothing’s quite as refreshing as mint. Simple syrup is so easy to make – and you can flavor it however you like.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves and stems
- To a small pot add 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of water and mint leaves and stems.
- Bring to a boil for about 15 minutes or so until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the mint leaves and pour into a canning jar - keep refrigerated.
- 2 cups brewed Starbucks® Pike Place® Roast, chilled
- 4 cups ice cubes
- 4 tablespoons mint simple syrup
- 4 tablespoons milk or half n half
- whipped cream
- mint for blender/garnish
- Brew ½ pot Starbucks® Pike Place® Roas, let cool and chill.
- Fill blender with ice, followed by chilled coffee, syrup and milk.
- Blend well and pour into glasses.
- Top with whipped cream and garnish with freshly picked mint.