It’s not summer just yet, but we’ve been experiencing an unusually hot and humid Spring here in New Jersey. We’ve had the air conditioning running for several weeks already. It’s been super hot, but as much as I’d love to have the windows open, it’s also been a blessing because it helps filter the allergens in the air that bother me so much.
With that being said, the downside is the surging electricity bills. We do everything we can to help conserve energy and the cash in our pockets. Here are a few of our tips.
Easy ways to save on your electricity bill
1. Replace A/C filters often to keep your units running smoothly. The more clogged your filters are, the harder the system has to work, the more energy it uses.
2. Seal cracks and leaks in walls and around the windows to cut down on unwanted airflow into and out of your home.
3. Use energy saving blinds, because no house is air tight. We installed energy saving honeycomb blinds in our family room and kitchen years ago, and it’s one of the best additions we made to our living area. It helps keep cool air out in the winter and in during the summer.
4. Unplug appliances after use. That coffee maker and toaster oven are drawing electricity even when they’re not turned on. This also goes for electronics like computers.
5. Wash clothes in cold water and skip the heat cycle on your dishwasher to save on energy.
6. Use the ceiling fan on reverse to help keep your room cool.
7. Turn off fans and lights when you’re not in the room.
8. Install a programmable thermostat, or simply remember to turn down the air conditioning by raising the room temperature when leaving your home.
9. Hang laundry outside to dry if possible.
10. Go solar and save an average of 20% on electricity costs.
No matter what, you’re going to have to use some electricity, so why not save on your electricity costs? We have looked into buying our own solar panels, and man is it expensive. The upfront costs are as much as luxury car, and I don’t know about you but we don’t have that kind of money to spend on something we’re not sure will increase our home’s value.
Lisa Rios says
What a a great post indeed! All these are awesome tips. I really love the Go Solar idea. I am sure this idea would definitely help to save the most out of your electricity bill. A perfect idea for every home.
Great tips! We are already using some now to cut down on the bill. Wish we could do solar, that would be awesome
What great ideas you shared for saving money. Especially on our electric bill
I always forget to unplug appliances. My KitchenAid mixer stays plugged in all the time even though I don’t use it often :( i need to fix that!
Unplug appliances…I always forget that one!
Tough Cookie Mommy says
These are some great tips for saving on your electric bill. I feel like I get fleeced by the utility company every month because their rates are so expensive. It would be great to be able to save a little money.
Debbie Denny says
Awesome tipe. Been tossing the idea about solar around.
Ann Bacciaglia says
These are great tips for saving on your hydro bill. I have a few friends that have invested in solar panels. I live in a condo so it is not an option for me.