This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
While I love to cook complete meals, it rarely happens lately. Especially during the week. Most days I end up doing something really simple for the main dish like pasta, hot dogs or quesadillas. My days are spent managing the house and working from home, then the kids come home with paperwork, homework and lunch boxes to unpack. This leaves very little time for dinner prep unless I start before they even walk back through the door.
Semi homemade meals are my jam on days like this, and Michael Angelo’s Meal Starters are my newest dinner shortcut without tasting like one. My family thought dinner was homemade by me, and it that fashion it was made with ingredients I can pronounce and without anything artificial.
Since I was able to save so much time on dinner, I decided to treat my family to this delicious Twisted Garlic Bread. Over the years I’ve made many delicious homemade breads, but never a garlic bread from scratch. This one did not disappoint. Before you begin, make sure you test your yeast.
If it doesn’t create a foam that means it is no longer active and you will have to try again. This actually happened to me yesterday and I’ve thankful that I had a second jar available. You want this bread to rise and be light and fluffy, not overly dense and heavy.
After mixing the dough and allowing it to rise, roll it out and top it with this delicious garlicky butter spread and make a roll. You will then slice it down the middle and make your twist. Then place it in a loaf pan and let rise another hour before baking. Bellisimo!
It should look something like this before going in the oven. Before I even began baking, my house smelled incredible!
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1¼ cup warm milk
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 head of garlic, minced
- 3-4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- ⅓ cup parmesan, grated
- 1 stick butter, softened
- Mix warm water with yeast and sugar. Let sit about 15 minutes until foamy.
- Pour into mixing bowl with do0ugh hook attached
- Add flour and salt and mix until a ball forms.
- Knead dough before coating with oil and placing in a bowl.
- Cover and place in a warm area to rise for about an hour.
- Cover and let rise again for an hour.
- Roll out into a rectangle on a floured surface and smear the garlic butter spread on top and roll it.
- Slice down the middle leaving an inch or two attached at the top.
- Make a twist braid and smoosh it into a greased loaf pan.
- Cover and let rise for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
For me there is never enough sauce but for this meal I actually had enough to top the pasta and the chicken. What a delicious meal!