I’ve shied away from using mangos before because I’d had difficulty cutting one in the past. So much so that I actually buy them precut and frozen for our smoothies – which is great and super easy in the morning. However, I love mango salsa and nothing beats fresh for that.
Mangos are not only tasty but thy are packed with vitaminc C – one day’s worth and also contain 35% of your daily vitamin A and 12% of your daily fiber needs. At just 100 calories per cup, mangos are fat free, cholesterol free so they fit easily with a healthy diet.
When I was shopping, I followed the instructions provided in the video and I gently squeezed the mangos to check for ripeness. It worked out well because they were perfect. After watching the video above, my mango cutting skills have dramatically improved. Before I had tried cutting it like an avocado, but it’s a little different. I found the eye, and made my first slice just off to the side to avoid it, and then one on the other side. I gently sliced through the flesh but not the skin and then scooped out my perfect cubes. Seriously, I had no idea this was so easy.
Like with many other fruits, it should stay at room temperature until ripe. The salsa will go great with grilled chicken and fish this Spring and Summer. But did you know that mangos are available year-round?
I love mexican food and the whole family enjoys quesadillas. What’s not to love? I made these Cinco de Mango Quesadillas for dinner last night.
- 2 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 dried ancho/pasilla chile pepper, stemmed and seeded*
- 4 burrito size flour tortillas
- 6 ounces thinly sliced Jack cheese
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup minced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- large mango, peeled, pitted and chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- ½ tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ tablespoon lime juice
- pinch or dash salt
- Cook chicken on a lightly oiled grill over medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side or until lightly charred and cooked through. Let cool slightly and cut into bite size strips.
- Puree the tomato sauce and dried pepper in a blender or food processor. Transfer to a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add grilled chicken to pan and toss well to coat; season to taste with salt.
- Place flour tortillas on a flat surface. Top half of each tortilla with equal amounts of cheese, mango, bell pepper, green onion and chicken; fold over tortilla.
- Cook in a large skillet on both sides until cheese is melted and tortilla is crisp, about 5 minutes on each side.
- In a small bowl, stir together mango, red bell pepper, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, and salt.
Melissa French, The More With Less Mom says
I am SO READY for mangoes to be back in season! Thanks for posting. Hello from Real Food Recipe Roundup.
Jennifer at Making Our Life Matter says
This looks really good Heather. I never buy fresh mango because I have no idea how to cut it. Thanks so much for the tutorial!
Heather M says
We love mangoes. This recipe sounds delicious.
Christina @ It Is a Keeper says
These look scrumptious! I’m adding them to my meal plan!
Amber NElson says
This looks so amazing. I am going to have to try this one.