This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
I’ve been on a lifestyle journey since January after realizing that I was at my heaviest weight ever and tests showed my cholesterol was outside of the healthy range. Knowing that high levels of cholesterol can increase my risk of heart disease scared me. I had to do something to improve my health so that I can be the best mom to my kids. A clinical study showed that Mazola® Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil, so I made the swap when cooking some of my favorite healthy meals. To learn more about this claim, see Mazola.com.
Since starting my program, I lost a total of 20 pounds, but I still have more to lose. While it’s been a bit difficult to maintain my new-ish healthy lifestyle this summer, there are meals that make eating healthy easy, and this fabulous chicken fajita bowl is one of them. And as I get back on the wagon just in time for National Cholesterol Awareness month in September, this meal will be going on the regular dinner rotation.
One of my favorite Tex-Mex restaurant meals is less than healthy, so I was inspired to transform it into something that resembles a healthy meal. I swapped some of the unhealthy ingredients for lighter ones. Corn Oil replaced the olive oil, cauliflower rice was used instead of regular rice and sour cream was swapped for nonfat Greek yogurt. The result was better than I even hoped. Seriously, we licked our plates clean.
The chicken I use for the grill I buy pre-marinated. For this recipe, you could do a simple lemon (or red vinegar), Mazola Corn Oil and salt marinade. The longer the chicken has to soak it up, the better the flavor. Mazola Corn Oil is an all-purpose, cholesterol free cooking oil that is a smart heart-healthy* choice for your family. *See Mazola.com for more information on the relationship between corn oil and heart health. It has a variety of uses including baking, grilling, sautéing, stir frying, or mixing up a marinade or dressing.
Fresh ingredients are the key to this delicious dinner.
- 2 large chicken breasts, marinated, grilled and sliced
- 3 tri-color bell peppers, diced
- 2 cobs of corn
- 16 oz riced cauliflower, defrosted
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1 lime
- salt to taste
- 15 ounces rinsed black beans, warmed
- ½ cup Greek yogurt (optional)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- sliced avocado
- Place marinated chicken and corn over a grill on medium-high heat for about 7 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken from grill when cooked and let cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Remove corn, and using a knife, cut the kernels from the cob.
- Meanwhile, heat canola oil in a saucepan and sauté the chopped peppers over medium heat and put aside to cool slightly.
- In the same pan, add the riced cauliflower and cook over medium heat until most of the moisture is cooked out.
- Add minced garlic, juice from one lime and the chopped cilantro and cook about a minute more.
- Add chopped romaine to the base of a medium sized serving bowl.
- Top romaine with cauliflower rice, black beans, chicken, corn, red onion, avocado and Greek yogurt, one section at a time.