I’ve become a bit of a pinterest addict lately, and most of my pinnings have to do with food, naturally. There are so many great recipes to be found and among my favorites is this Buttermilk-Blueberry Breakfast Cake. The recipe calls for fresh blueberries, but I still have a stash of frozen blueberries from last summer that I need to use up. (We live near the blueberry capital of the world, ya know.) I’m not sure why I filed this under the dessert category, because this really is a cake to be enjoyed for breakfast and brunch but it is indeed yummy enough to be dessert, too.
Buttermilk-Blueberry Breakfast Cake
Source: Alexandra’s Kitchen
- cup unsalted butter, softened
- Zest from 1 large lemon
- ⅞ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (defrost if frozen)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Cream butter, lemon zest and ⅞ cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined and set aside.
- Toss blueberries with ¼ cup of flour separately.
- Whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt before adding it to the batter.
- While combining, alternate with the buttermilk to make it easier to incorporate.
- Finally, fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch square baking pan and sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 35 minutes and up to 40 minutes, checking with a toothpick.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.