We are so happy that Spring is here and the Easter holiday is just around the corner. This is such an exciting time of year for the kids, and it’s fun for us adults too. We figured the proper way to kick off the season would be to throw a little party.
The idea for this treat comes from one of my favorite snacks in Magic Kingdom, the chocolate dipped rice crispy treats. Some are topped with M&M’s® and those are my favorite of course!
To prepare, Ryan and I made a trip to the store to pick up the essentials. We chose M&M’s®, fruit leathers and mini marshmallows for the candy and we found a bunny-shaped cutter too.
As soon as we got home, I got to work on the crispy treats. I like to sandwich the mixture between two sheets of wax paper when I make these. The marshmallow mixture is so sticky and difficult to work with otherwise. I let it cool for a few moments before cutting into bunny shapes. When it’s still a bit warm, you can use the scraps; I decided to mold mine into Easter eggs.
I used a chocolate melter to soften the candy melts. If you don’t have one, they will easily melt in the microwave too. Just dip one side of the bunny and then rest dipped side up onto a sheet of wax paper. Quickly add M&M’s or a similar candy where you like. I decided to fill in the ears, add eyes and a nose. Quickly place whiskers cut from fruit leathers and the teeth which are sliced mini marshmallows.
We also picked up these awesome props. It’s not a party without photo props. I’m crazy about that bright, fun photo frame and I made the Happy Spring printable for it.
When it was time for dessert, everyone was reaching for the bunny treats! They were a hit with everyone, but I think the adults appreciated them the most!
Easter Bunny Treats
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 10 oz package large marshmallows
- 6 cups rice cereal
- cookie cutter
- 1-2 packages candy melts in choice of color(s)
- 1 package M&M's® Carrot Cake
- 2 fruit leathers
- 4 mini marshmallows
- Add cereal to a large mixing bowl and set aside
- Melt butter in a saucepan on low heat
- Add marshmallows and stir constantly until mixture is melted
- Pour marshmallow mixture over cereal and mix well
- Spread mixture into a large baking pan or cookie sheet and press firmly and evenly
- Cut into bunny shapes with a cookie cutter
- Melt candy melts in either a melter or in the microwave
- Dip the top of each treat and lay flat onto wax paper, dipped side up
- Add M&M's® to ears, eyes and nose
- Quickly place four whiskers made from cut fruit leathers
- Add 2 sliced marshmallows for teeth
- Repeat process for each bunny treat
These are super cute and looks like fun to create them, too. Adding to my list of ideas for Easter fun at the Smith House :)
Barb @ A Life in Balance says
So cute! I’d love to make these with my kids.
Wow these are so cute!
These look wonderfully sugary and delicious. My kids would love this.
Alice Chase says
So fun and tastier that sugar cookies in my opinion!
Everything is cute. I like the little bunnies, just perfect to help celebrate the upcoming holiday.
Denise Gabbard says
These are so adorable. I am going to make them for a couple of adorable eight year olds.
These are so cute and perfect for Easter. It is such a magical time to enjoy some delectable treats with the whole family.
My poor son is off sweets, so he is not loving that right now. But I know he would love these