I try really hard to have my girls be involved in all types of toys. Scattered around our rooms with dolls and princess dresses are cars, Star Wars and capes – anything that’s fun to play with is welcome in our home. I think it’s really exciting that construction/building sets are the hottest category in the toy industry. Yet historically, these toys have catered to boys’ interests. Girls have been missing out, because construction toys develop important spatial reasoning and design skills that are prerequisites to succeed in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math).
Enter Build & Imagine. Created by award-winning toy designer Laurie Peterson, Build & Imagine “StoryWalls” are magnetic building sets that inspire storytelling. StoryWall play-sets contain illustrated scenes that children can build, decorate, and use as a backdrop for imaginative play. It’s like building a storybook setting in 3-D and then jumping in to play! These exciting sets were designed to expand a child’s opportunities by developing foundational skills for the fields of STEM: fields in which women represent only 24% of the workforce, leading to what the President has termed a “gender gap in innovation.” Toys can make a difference.
Build & Imagine StoryWalls feature adventurous leading female characters and rich illustrated details that inspire girls and boys alike to build and imagine. Children can quickly reconstruct the structure into whatever design suits them and even change the context of the story with magnetic accessories that stick to the floors, walls, and dolls. The layered play experience (build, decorate, tell stories) creates long-term engagement to hold a child’s attention and helps develop foundational language and engineering skills.
I figured a rainy, lazy Sunday was the perfect day to whip out Malia’s Beach House ($59.99). Each set comes nicely packaged:
Caroline was really excited to make her dream house! The combinations are endless and she loved making the house in lots of variations. Even better, eat set is interchangeable so you can add more to the collection and they’re work together! Also available are Marine Rescue Center and Day at the Beach.
- Build & Imagine was funded on Kickstarter, was nominated for ASTRA’s “Best Toy For Kids” award, and was recognized by Common Sense Media as a “STEM for girls” trendsetter.
- Every Build & Imagine set includes doll(s), illustrated building panels that combine magnetically to create endless combinations, and dozens of magnetic accessories to customize your scene.
- StoryWalls are easy to setup, cleanup, and store. They stack flat, making them travel-friendly.
- Parents will appreciate that Build & Imagine Story Walls develop important early engineering skills like spatial reasoning, decision-making & experimentation, creativity and design.
- Prices for the first three play sets range from $39.99 to $59.99, and each one can be attached to the other two sets, allowing kids to build bigger structures and grow their story.
Samples received for consideration.
Laurie Peterson says
Thanks so much for reviewing my building sets! I am delighted to see Caroline enjoying the Beach House.
All the best,
(founder of Build & Imagine)
She loves playing with it!
This looks so cute. Caroline seems enthralled!