After watching the final chapter of a show I’d become
fond of obsessed with, I needed some time to process the information presented. It certainly wasn’t the ending that I had expected and hoped for, and it didn’t even make sense at first. Not that I am surprised that it wasn’t wrapped up for us into a neat little package for us faithful viewers. I mean, the show was essentially a ‘series’ of questions being answered with many many more questions, delightfully stringing us along for six years. I think us losties have grown accustomed to that, and deciphering the puzzle is what made it such an interesting series.
LOST was so smart and engaging, like no other movie or television series I’ve known. It forced us to look at the same situation from different angles, proving that a person’s point of view can make all the difference. I did have a feeling the finale wasn’t going to live up to my expectations, but I knew that I’d be okay with that because it’s LOST, and I’m used to it.
I’m thankful for what ‘The End’ brought us.
- Lovers like Sayid and Shannon, Charlie and Claire, Desmond and Penny, and Sawyer and Juliet were reunited. I was a hot mess during those final moments of the show. Yes, of course I wanted all of our friends to be alive, for their destinies to have been changed into ATL while also living with the awareness of the island time that never existed(?). But as we’ve been told before, “Dead is Dead.” Even if our beloved characters are no longer living, if that’s what it took to get the reunions we all hoped for, so be it.
- The love triangle between Jack, Kate and Sawyer was finally solved. Kate finally declares her love for Jack, but how awkward was that moment with Sawyer just a few yards away?
- The ending was happy for all in that they were each able to work through their various issues before finding each other and ‘moving on’.
- Hurley became the last remaining(?) candidate.
- The Target commercials were spot on! They gave me a chuckle and time to dry my eyes.
But there was so much left unsaid. It wouldn’t be LOST without bringing so many new questions to the forefront of our minds, such as:
- What was the point of protecting the island, especially after the Smoke Monster was dead? What did they all, including Jack die for?
- What of the electromagnetism, time travel, Dharma research and polar bears, oh my? There seemed to be no conclusions with all of the scientific aspects of LOST.
- Did the Ajira plane finally make it off the island and exactly when did our LOSTies die?
- Was Desmond ever able to return to the mainland?
- Why was the island shown sunken under the sea at the beginning of the what we called, “alternate timeline”. Is the island gone now?
- Were all of the other people in the “alternate reality” in purgatory too, or were they just the dead helping others move on?
I could think of million another questions, so I won’t bore you by going on. We’re all frustrated by the fact that the details that seemed so important all this time were sort of glossed over.
One thing that stood out to me was that not everyone joined the group inside the church. Ben for one, opted to sit this one out, which makes me think that he had more work to do before moving on. Could it be because he murdered Widmore? Did he not pay his dues as Hurley’s number two? Ana Lucia was a corrupt cop in purgatory L.A. And what about Michael and Walt – where were they? Not ready to move on? Well, neither am I, boo!
Of course I am still struggling with the fact that there will be no more sarcastic nick-names from Sawyer, no Star Wars references from Hurley, no more piano/violin music that made me cry at the drop of a note. In fact, I think I am hurting so much by this that my subconscious created a LOST-inspired dream for me just this weekend. Seriously, we all have to cope somehow. I will miss this show, and I’m still mourning my loss.
CafePress has millions of personalized gifts – for all topics, hobbies, and brands including LOST T-shirts and other items like the mug shown at left. The show is over, but I’m happy to drink in the memories of LOST right along with my morning coffee. I love the dharma-inspired LOST products on CafePress, they don’t spell it out, and only true losties will recognize this iconic symbol. It hasn’t arrived but I know it will be the same high quality product that’s synonymous with CafePress.
GIVEAWAY! Due to the generosity of CafePress, one lucky fan will be able to drink to LOST in style!
Mandatory Entry – Leave the url to the LOST themed the travel mug or single ceramic mug of your choice. This must be your first comment.
-Follow this blog publicly via google friend connect.
-Subscribe to my blog posts by email.
-Follow CafePress on facebook and leave a comment on their wall.
-Follow The Penny-Pinching Mama on facebook and leave a comment on my wall.
-Follow The Penny-Pinching Mama and CafePress on twitter.
-Tweet the following message (available if you follow us on twitter for one extra entry per day):
#Win a #LOST inspired travel mug from CafePress and enjoy the memories with your morning coffee @pennypinchingma http://tinyurl.com/2uhu46v
-Add my button (at left) to your blog.
-Enter any and all other giveaways on this blog.
No compensation was received for this post. I received product samples in order to facilitate my honest review. Contest is open Worldwide residents 18 and older and closes at Midnight EST on June 16th. The winner will be selected using Random.org. Please leave your email address either in your comment or make sure it is listed on your profile page so that I can reach you if you win. GOOD LUCK!