Whatever season it is, chances are we’re watching some game on the television. We like to snack on things like wings and dip while cheering on our favorite basketball team. If it’s spicy, it’s probably on the menu.
Jalapeño Poppers are one of my favorite apps but I don’t remember the last time I had one at home. Reason being that it’s kind of a pain to make. You have to stuff, bread and fry and to me it’s just not worth the mess in my kitchen. File this appetizer on the list of ones to order out. Jalapeño Popper dip, however I can handle. This is a great way to get that popper taste that is easy to make and will feed a crowd.
The base for this dip is cream cheese. In my opinion, the best Jalapeño Popper is the one stuffed with cream cheese so I think that the taste is spot on. If you want to lighten up the recipe, you can use a low fat cream cheese and reduced fat mayo. You could even try fat free, but I wouldn’t recommend going that far. Stir together the cream cheese, mayo, jalapeño peppers, green chilis and cheese. Spread mixture into a stoneware baking dish.
Mix oil, bread crumbs and parmesan and sprinkle on top. Bake for 20 minutes at 350°, then broil for about 2 minutes (watch carefully so they don’t burn) to brown the crumbs nicely.
It’s done when cream cheese is warm and gooey and bread crumbs are lightly toasted.
This dip is sooo good! I love hot and spicy foods and this dip certainly delivers.
Jalapeño Popper Dip
- 2 8oz packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 oz can diced jalapeños
- 4 oz can chopped green chilis
- ½ cup shredded mexican blend cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix first five ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add ¼ cup of the parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Spread into 4-cup baking dish and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix bread crumbs, the remaining parmesan and oil.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly onto the dip.
- Bake for 20 minutes until hot.